Friday, 28 March 2014

PLTC (Patrol Leader Training Course)

PLTC was the first challenging camp I have been to in my whole scouting life. I did not go for Standard camp, so I was a little weaker than the rest of everyone. It was a long and tiring camp.
At 11 am in the morning we were supposed to meet at Tampines mall 1. We met behind where there was an open space and we did our lay out there. Even though this was the first time I did my layout quickly, I was the fastest and beyond the standards set by serpent. When I finished, I went on to help others so they can meet the target time of 2 minutes as well. We all repeated until we met the target.

Right after that, we set off for our hike to Changi Ferry Terminal. We had 10 check points to complete in all. It was the first time I did a hike like this. The journey was long and tedious. Every checkpoint we reached, I gulped down lots of water as I was perspiring so much.

At about 5.45 pm, we reached the jetty and was the third group to arrive. Just a few minutes behind the group ahead of us. Serpent brought us to the hawker centre to have our dinner, after that we set off on bum boats for Pulau Ubin.
Dinner!

It was the first time I ever went to Pulau Ubin. It was quite an experience. We hiked in the dark to reach the other side of Ubin. We set camp there and put up our bashas. We then had to make a desert using flour, eggs and chocolate, in the form of outdoor cooking. Half way along the cooking, I got unwell, so I went to sleep in the basha.
Roasting balls of hand made chocolate bread dough!
At 5.40 am, we had to fall in and we did together 40 push-ups to wake up ourselves and minds. We went through a series of activities testing our critical thinking skills and alternative and best solutions to be taken during the activities.

When we were done we changed back to full uniform and had our breakfast.After that,we hiked back to the Ubin jetty and headed back to the main island.From there, serpent let us take public transport back to Endeavour primary school.

When we reached, we cooked lunch. Basically fish, chicken, vegetables and barley.We changed to pt kit and did another set of activities. And basically it was about looking at things from other people's point of view.
Master Chef Dylan!
We then sat down all together and discussed on where we should go for dinner. We settled on a restaurant nearby and after that we went back to the school and headed to the AVA room where serpent did a review of what we learnt and what had happen.

He showed us a movie (3 Idiots) before we slept and the main lesson of it was to cool down even at the toughest of times.The next day, we woke up and arranged everything, rearranged things in the den and cleaned up the place. Right after that, we went off to go home.

This camp was truly an experience. I felt great to have passed PLTC.
Team SE!


Written by: Daryl Tan
Edited by: Jason Tang
For more info on SEScouts, click on this link, Soaring Eagles Scout Group. Do support us by liking our page to stay tuned for more updates on us! Thank you!

No comments: